Efficient Preventive Dentistry in Salt Lake City, UT
Smiles offers preventive dentistry treatment and education that are designed to prevent oral health issues.
Maintaining Regular Dental Cleanings and Exams
Scheduling and maintaining regular dental cleanings and exams every six months is the easiest form of preventative care for you and your family. Some patients may require more frequent visits, depending on the individual care needed for each patient.
During a routine cleaning, our hygienist removes the build-up of plaque and tartar on your teeth and around your gum line. Not removing plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth can lead to periodontal disease and can potentially lead to more oral health concerns.
How to Properly Brush Your Teeth and Floss
Proper dental hygiene is extremely important for preventing oral health problems. Here are some tips for proper brushing directly from the American Dental Association.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled brush. The size and shape of your brush should fit your mouth allowing you to reach all areas easily
- Replace your toothbrush every three or four months, or sooner if the bristles are frayed. A worn toothbrush won’t do a good job of cleaning your teeth
- Make sure to use an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste
The proper brushing technique is to:
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short (tooth-wide) strokes
- Brush the outer surfaces, the inner surfaces, and the chewing surfaces of the teeth
- To clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make several up-and-down strokes